Friday, May 15, 2009

Commentary

In my classmate Hannah's blog she touches on a number of issues that I strongly agree with and others not as much. The points made are backed up with several references and quotes, so it makes for a very convincing post. I do agree that there is no excuse for the reaction by some people  directed towards Latinos in response to the swine flu. She directs her criticism towards the mass media and shows discernment by ignoring the ranting bloggers. Rightly so she express strong contempt for the media outlets who publish things that are simply immature and unprofessional. Additionally despite their best efforts to cause panic by publicizing it so much, the swine flu (it would seem to the disappointment of some) did not have a mentionable affect in the US. Even though it did originate in Mexico there turned out to be no need for all the racial slurs and innuendos. The only thing I didn't agree with were her comments on Michael Savage, yes he is extremely harsh and radical but I do not think it is right for him to be banned from Britain for things he has said in the US. I do not support Savage or agree with everything he says but I think that some of the ideas behind could be helpful, but more than anything I think he's over the top. Over all I thought it was a fantastic post that was extremely well reasoned and planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment